Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Taking A Walk (The New House Part V)

We spent the rest of the day cleaning up my room as best we could. The last thing I wanted was for my parents to see the message left all over my wall; a message that made no sense to me, by the way.

When I was finally satisfied that my parents could look into my room and not deem me clinically psycho, Carla and I decided to get out of the house and calm down. I spared her a glance as we walked down the block. Her shaking had gotten better, but she was still kinda pale. I wrapped my arm around her and tried to think of something to say, but nothing came to mind so I just kinda held her for awhile. Finally I couldn’t take the silence; I needed to hear her say something.

“So...are you doing okay?” Oh god, stupid question. Of course she wasn’t you idiot.

She smiled weakly. “You’re cute when you’re all worried.”

“I...well...I just...” Good, now the stammering was starting. How the hell did she do this to me? All she did was call me cute.

She laughed, a small laugh but it was something. “You’re just as cute when you’re all flustered,” she said, wrapping her arm around my waste and leaning close. “Thanks Ian.”

“You’re welcome.” Ha, got that one right.

We walked for a while longer before the subject couldn’t be ignored any longer.

“So that message...”

She sighed, “Yeah, the message. Hey I’m sorry for freaking out back there or whatever. From here on I am totally committed to keeping a brave face and figuring this thing out.”

I couldn’t help but smile. “Good to know. I wonder what it meant though. I mean I don’t think I have anything that belongs to...well whatever is down there. Can you think of anything?”

She thought for a moment, “Not really, you know, we could try checking out the history of the house or something. Maybe someone died in your basement and we’re dealing with an angry ghost out for revenge.”

Pleasant thought.

“I don’t think so,” I said. “Whatever’s down there is definitely physical. It stomps down the stairs, slams doors, and came into my room and seriously invaded my personal space.” I shuddered at the memory. “Plus it laughs a lot, do ghosts laugh?”

She was staring up at me with a cocked eyebrow. “Invaded your personal space? Like...you know...?”

“What are you...oh god...no! No Jesus Christ no! You are a twisted person you know that! That is all different kinds of messed up!”

“Good, cause I don’t want anyone getting there before me,” she said sweetly.

“I...um...” Oh god the stammering, and now I was blushing too. I drive the ladies wild. Good to see Carla was pretty much back to normal though.

“Oh my god!” She stopped suddenly and looked at me, her eyes wide.

“What?” I asked, “Cause despite my serious lack of anything related to composure, I am totally cool with you invading my personal space.”

“What...? Oh, yeah whatever look I just figured it out!” She looked at me expectantly.

“Um...so what is it that you...”

“I can’t believe I didn’t realize it right away, god I’m so stupid! It wants that locket back!”

“Locket?”

“Yeah that locket I found in the basement. I put it in my pocket and forgot about it. That’s gotta be what it wants.”

I nodded, remembering how we had found that tiny trinket in the corner. “So where is it now?” I asked. “Do you have it with you?”

She shook her head, “No, I tossed it on my dresser and forgot about it. I’ll run home and get it right away though. Are you gonna come?”

“Tempting, but I should get back home and let my parents know I’m around.”

“Okay, well I’ll be right back, so don’t get gobbled up by the monster or anything until I get back.”

“Yeah, well I’ll try my best on that, hurry back.”

She nodded then gave me a quick kiss before breaking off into a sprint down the block. I couldn’t help but admire her enthusiasm as she was running, as well as her...no we’ll just stick with enthusiasm.

I got home a little while later and found both of my parent’s cars in the driveway. I walked in and was immediately greeted by my mother, who looked a little stressed out.

“Ian, oh good I’m glad you’re home, I need your help quickly.”

“What’s going on mom?” I asked, slightly worried. Mom never got stressed. I will never forget what she said.

“Your father went into the basement, but now the door is locked tight and he won’t answer me. I think he may have hurt himself or something. I need you to help me get the door open.”

Oh god. All I could do now was pray Carla hurried back with that locket.

No comments: