Sunday, August 9, 2009

Born an Angel

So I decided to take a quick break from the New House series; which is nearing its end, by the way, and post something sent to me by a good friend of mine.

I didn't write this piece, instead I served as an editor of sorts, but after going through it and getting permission, I wanted to post it here.


****

I couldn’t help but take her hand, noticing just how much smaller it was than mine. Her hands were rough though, and her grip was far from gentle. She looked up at me; her eyes clouded, as though she were incapable of taking in the things around her without first filing them through a distorted filter. It was like looking into a storm cloud, full of fury and chaos, but still just so damn beautiful.

But there was no way I could have known that even someone so small and fragile could be so full of loathing and darkness, and have the ability to do so much damage. Maybe I was so blinded by the fact that I believed we were meant to be. The moment I touched her hand I knew that she would be a part of my life forever Still...I wish I had known, I wish I had paid more attention to the soul behind the face.

She gave me a small grin and whispered, "I was born an angel you know."

Cryptic and sudden; it seemed more like a warning than a statement, but those words flowing from her lips wrapped themselves around my heart. From now until time stopped moving forward I was hers, and as I looked back on that moment, for just a second, it was as though her eyes cleared up and somehow she realized she belonged to me too. My love for her resonated deep in my heart, and no longer content to simply hold her hand, I took her into my arms and held her with all my strength.

A tear slid down my cheek as my soul responded, “I know."

No comments: