Friday, July 3, 2009

Everyone Dreams (The Girl With the Dead Eyes Part IV)

“I’m always amazed by the view your office gets. I mean everything in here is really nice, the couch, the desk, the computer, but the view, that’s the best part. How’d you ever get such a nice place anyway?”

“I graduated top of my class, received numerous awards of distinction in my field. They’re all on the wall over there.”

“Yeah I guess so, so you worked your way all the way up to the 47th floor huh?”

“I suppose that’s one way of putting it.”

“I’ve only been able to work my way up to a two story bungalow myself. Should I lie down now?”

“If you want. Wherever you feel most comfortable being. So you said last session that you’ve been having these dreams?”

“Yes and no, I mean, they’re dreams, but they’re not.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Exactly what it sounds.”

“I’m sorry, I’m having trouble understanding.”

“It’s like this, normally when people dream, they’re asleep right?”

“Yes, I suppose that goes without saying.”

“Well I’m not.”

“You’re not?”

“No.”

“Please elaborate.”

“When I dream, and I know I’m dreaming, I’m awake, in a sense, and what I’m dreaming comes true.”

“True?”

“Yes, like it happens right here, in the real world.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, for example, last night I dreamt that the dog I had to put down a couple of years back after my wife left was laying across my bed, sleeping like he always did, and then there he was.”

“In your dream?”

“No, in real life, I was awake, and dreaming at the same time. I reached out to pet him the way he loves it, and his tail wagged they way it used to. I could feel the softness of the fur, I saw his legs kick, like he was chasing gophers or something, you know, when a dog is also dreaming.”

“And when you woke up?”

“I don’t think you’re getting this Doctor. I was already up. My dog’s still there, he was there waiting by the door when I left this afternoon, and he’ll be there when I come back.”

“So you dreamt your dog back from the dead? Is that really what you’re telling me?”

“Hey don’t make fun of me. Aren’t therapists supposed to take this kind of stuff in stride?”

“Yes, yes you’re right, I'm sorry. Please continue.”

“Not sure if I want to now.”

“Please, we still have time left.”

“Okay, I’ll give you another example. The other night it was raining, like real hard, storm knocked the power out and everything. I had this dream where I was flying, flying as high as I could to escape the thunder and the lightning. My dog, he always hated storms, they made him so scared, so I guess they kind of got to me too. Anyway I was dreaming I was above the clouds, and then there I was, flying, just like a bird I swear to God, in just my boxers, and man it was really fucking cold, sorry for cursing, but let me tell you, was it ever beautiful. I saw the stars, like really saw them you know? Kind of like when you go out into the country to escape all the city crap that blocks the view, but so much closer, like I could reach out and grab them.”

“And then what happened?”

“I let myself fall, through the clouds, back towards the ground, and stopped myself before I hit my lawn. Then I ran inside so I wouldn’t freeze. I was soaked, and only in my underwear.”

“Couldn’t you have just dreamt for the rain to stop?”

“Never really thought of that, maybe.”

“Well, my friend, time is up for today. However I’d really like you to come back next week, and maybe for a few more sessions after that.”

“You think I’m crazy?”

“I don’t make distinctions like that.”

“Fine, I’ll prove it to you.”

“You don’t have to…”

“I can still fly you know.”

“What?”

“I can still fly, would you like to see?”

“I don’t…please…please step away from the window.”

“Well, you thought I was crazy right? I’m going to prove that everything I’m saying is true.”

“Alright, alright, just calm down okay? I believe you, you don’t need to prove anything to me. Now please, close the window.”

“No I insist. Don’t worry, I’ll be fine. Just watch Doctor, I’m about to change your world.”

No comments: