Monday, September 23, 2013

Sarah (Seperation and Reclaimation Part II)

“You don’t like him do you?” Sarah asked me after a brief silence. She was leaning heavily on me, gripping my arm tightly as we made our way back to her car, the alcohol keeping her from moving too quickly, or gracefully for that matter.

“I never said that,” I said, trying not to laugh at her current state. Sarah wasn’t nearly as much of a partier as Jen or Ryan, so it wasn’t often that she ever needed a ride home, let alone someone to cling to lest she fall over.

“But you barely said anything to him all night,” she said with a pout. “I really like him so you should too.”

“You know we have this exact same conversation every time you get a new boyfriend right?”

“We do not!” She exclaimed, a little too loudly for 2:30am but we were hardly the only people filtering out of the club so I supposed it didn’t matter.

“We do,” I replied. “Every time you worry about what the others are going to think of whoever you may be dating, but I’m the only one that you actually pull aside and ask for an opinion.”

“Well that’s because I know if you like them, then they must be a pretty good person,” she grinned at me. “Everyone knows you’re hardest one to impress with this kind of stuff.”

“What? I am not, no one thinks that.”

“You’re the fun police.”

“I am not the fun police,” I grumbled as we rounded a corner, her car just up ahead.

“You are, and you were out in full force tonight.”

“No one thinks I’m the fun police.”

“Everyone thinks you’re the fun police. I’m going to get you a badge to prove it. You can flash it in people’s faces when they get too fun.  You can walk up to them and say excuse me sir, this is the fun police, you’re going to have to take it down a notch, the amount of fun is exceeding the legal limit, please bring it down to within the previously accepted levels of fun in accordance with city law.”

I sighed, heavily. “I just don’t have an opinion on him yet that’s all.” I said, trying to compromise. “You deserve the best, you really do. We’re all going to make sure you get it.”

“That’s sweet,” she giggled, causing her to stumble a bit. “But the others aren’t nearly as judgmental.”

“Oh come on, I am not judgmental.”

“Okay maybe that’s the wrong word, but whatever, he’s been really nice so far, so you should like him.”

“We’ll see.”

“You’ll like him,” she said, seemingly convinced she had won this round. “He has a really cool job.”

“He’s a musician,” I muttered. “You met him in a bar.”

“Fun police!” she shouted with a punch to my arm. “Told you!”

“Ugh, fine fine,” I said, rubbing my shoulder as we made it to her car. I took out her keys and unlocked her door, helping her get settled.

She smiled at me as I walked around the car and hopped in. “What was his name again?” I asked as I started the engine.

“You’re a dick,” she chuckled, leaning her head back and closing her eyes. “It’s Tristan.”

“Right, well he seems alright so far I guess.”

“Maybe I’ll marry him one day, then you’ll feel silly. For standing in the way of true love.”

“You’re drunk Sarah,” I laughed.

“Very,” she agreed. “Hey,” She said, suddenly serious. “Thanks, for always looking out for me.”

I looked over at her, barely keeping her eyes open and her blonde hair a mess from dancing with Jen.

“Always,” I said, giving her hand a squeeze as she closed her eyes and let herself sleep.

No comments: