Sunday, November 3, 2013

Absence (Seperation and Reclamation Part III)

I grit my teeth and cursed under my breath. I wasn’t really interested in stopping for anything but if I didn’t gas up my bike soon, I’d be walking the rest of the way. A sign I passed earlier said there was a rest stop just a few kilometers away, which would have to do, and a break was probably the smart thing considering I had been tearing down the highway since noon, and the sun had long since set.
 

I pulled in and killed the engine, then stepped off to fill up the bike that was by now running on fumes. As I did so I took out my phone and flipped to the picture I had received earlier that day It looked like it was taken as soon as they had arrived at Ryan’s cabin, but it was tough to be sure. Tristan, Ryan, Sarah, Jen, Dana. They were looking like they were having a great time as they posed for the camera.
 

Normally, I’d have been happy to have received a picture of them having a great time, but the circumstances were anything but normal.

It had been three months since I heard from any of them. Much too long.  I spoke to Ryan’s parents about it, and they said they had got a message from him saying he was going to be out of range of cell service as they continued backpacking and that they were going to be a little longer than they thought, and not to worry. Jen’s sister got a similar message, as did Sarah’s mom. Tristan wasn’t from our city originally so I didn’t know how to get in touch with his family, and Dana had lived alone for a long time now. Still, the people that would worry had all been reassured.
 

Except me. It wasn’t that I was lonely, or that I was regretting not being able to go with them. It was that the messages I heard all sounded very similar. Similar wording, little real personality, it sounded to me like they were reading a script. Not only that but they knew I would worry most. They would have called me, texted me, anything. But they hadn’t, and for three months is was like they just disappeared. Until today. Today I got my first real piece of evidence that they had at least made it to the lake safely.

At first I kept telling myself that they were just having fun somewhere, that they had forgotten to call me or whatever. Even being forgotten by them would be better than something having happened. But I knew more and more with each passing day that I was fooling myself.

Something had gone terribly wrong.

Those past three months were a blur. I wasn’t able to focus on anything, I was so worried. But today, today offered a brief glimmer of hope that maybe I could find them, and find out what had happened. When my phone rang and that picture came through, I immediately quit my job, withdrew a chunk of change from my savings, packed up and took off, intending to start my search at the lake, and hopefully find some answers.
 

Finally my motorcycle was full, and I quickly paid before hopping back on and taking off. I was determined to find out what had happened to them, so determined that I told myself I would do whatever it took to get the answers I needed.

It wouldn’t be the first time I had done something awful to protect them. It wouldn’t be the last.

No comments: