Thursday, October 30, 2014

Jen (Seperation and Reclamation Part IV)


Jen’s favourite bar wasn’t exactly my scene but when it came to nightlife my opinions were usually entirely ignored in favour of Jen and Ryan’s more enthusiastic venues. The three of us had been friends all through high school and time had done little to change that. Still I sometimes wondered how we ever got along at all.

This was one of those times.

Jen was a bar star. Ryan too, and they were definitely proving it tonight. While they drank and danced and generally looked like the whitest kids in the world, I hung back near the bar and tried not to let the lights and the music get to me too much. Being a designated driver meant I couldn’t be nearly drunk enough to enjoy the atmosphere, however I had drawn the short straw so here we were.

“Brad!” Jen shouted, coming over and tugging on my arm. “Come dance with us! This girl from my work is here I want you to meet her!”

I sighed, knowing full well that resistance was futile and allowed myself to be assimilated into the collective that was the dance floor.

“Sarah!” Jen shouted, waving at another girl dancing near Ryan. “This is Brad, the one I was telling you about!”

“Hi,” I said, trying not to yell but quickly realizing that was a ridiculous notion. “It’s nice to meet you!” I said, a little louder this time.

“Jen talks about you guys all the time!” Sarah said smiling. “It’s good to put faces to the names!”

“Hey come outside for a smoke!” Ryan shouted and Jen nodded. Sarah shrugged and followed us outside into the crisp night air.

Without the flashing lights I got my first real good look at Sarah and was surprised by how closely she and Jen resembled each other. Each with similar styles of dress and hair, and each with a wide smile that was proving infectious.

Ryan and Jen each lit up a cigarette while Sarah and I made small talk.

“So how do you guys all know each other?” Sarah asked.

“We all went to high school together,” Ryan said.

“Ryan and I dated on and off,” Jens said, “And he and Brad were good friends. Now we all hang out.

Brad makes sure we don’t do anything too stupid, and we try and get him to have fun once in a while. I think we balance out nicely.”

Sarah laughed, “I can see that, you do look like the big brother type.”

“I guess,” I muttered. “I’ve never thought of it that way though.”

“The people in those kinds of roles never do,” she said. “So does this mean you’re looking out for me now?”

“Um...” I stammered, “Well I...”

“Stop teasing him,” Jen scolded, interjecting with a huff. “He’s too simple when it comes to that kind of stuff.”

“Wait simple?” I said, “What is that supposed to mean?”

Before Jen could answer Ryan let out a very exaggerated sigh.

“Oh my god no one cares,” he groaned. “We’re going back inside now.”

Sarah laughed, “Aw you guys are fun, Jen we need to hang out more often.”

She shrugged, “Sure why not, Brad’s your big brother now anyway.”

“Perfect,” Sarah grinned as they went back inside.

I stood on the sidewalk for a moment longer, scratching the back of my head.

“The hell just happened?” I muttered, before following them back inside.

No comments: